Cold therapy – or “cryotherapy” – is the practice of applying something cold to the source of pain. For years, cold therapy has been used to reduce pain, swelling and nerve activity using ice, cold packs, and ice baths. Now, topical cold therapy pain relievers like Biofreeze offer additional benefits.
Biofreeze vs. Ice
Ice is the original cold therapy solution. Like Biofreeze, it reduces arterial blood flow to the applied area, while increasing circulation in the skin. There are some disadvantages to ice, however, such as stiffness, skin irritation, temporary pain and numbness, and the fact that it requires inactivity during application. Biofreeze offers the benefits of ice, and more. In a study of Biofreeze vs ice on acute uncomplicated neck pain, Biofreezewas found to be:
- Nearly twice as powerful in relieving pain
- Substantially more comfortable and convenient
- Longer-lasting in 9 out of 10 patients
- Generally preferred
Oral pain relievers are available over-the-counter or by prescription. More and more, people and professionals alike are considering topical analgesics like Biofreeze over oral options, because topical cold therapy pain relievers:
- Offer non-addictive, targeted relief at the point of pain
- Have minimal levels of systemic absorption, meaning a lower risk of systemic toxicity (overdose) or drug interaction
- Are available without a prescription
Cold Therapy Plus Professional Care
Combining the soothing relief of cold therapy with the expert care of a health professional maximizes benefits for people in pain. That’s why we partner with chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists and podiatrists to bring people the best possible results in the office and between visits.